We are shaped and fashioned by what we love.
--Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
Valentine's Day Writing and Journal Prompts
- Draw a picture of yourself and a friend or family member enjoying a special moment where you felt or expressed love. Write one or two sentences telling about it.
- Complete this sentence: "I know ________ loves me because ...."
- Create a Valentine's Day coupon book for a friend or family member.
- Make a list of ways that you can show your love for your family members.
- Make a list of people who love you and give at least one reason why you know they love you.
- Write a letter to your Mom or Dad telling them why you love them.
- Describe a time when you felt especially loved.
- Describe the best Valentine's Day you've ever had.
- Write an acrostic poem using the word "FRIEND."
- Think of one reason you like each person in your family or in your classroom. Use your reasons to write Valentine's cards to your family members or classmates.
- Interview a grandparent or elderly acquaintance to find out what Valentine's Day was like during his or her childhood. Use a Venn Diagram to compare/contrast Valentine's Day then and now.
- Design a poster announcing a school Valentine's Day party.
Pretend you are a teacher. Make a list of rules you would use to help keep students from feeling left during
- Write a poem entitled "Love is ..."
- Write an extended definition of love.
- Write an essay telling what makes someone a good friend.
- Should schools allow children to celebrate Valentine's Day in the classroom? Why or why not? Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper arguing your position.
- Imagine a world where everyone loved their neighbor as much as they loved themselves. What would it be like to live in such a world? How would families and communities be changed?
Valentine's Day Story Starters
- My Mom is the best mom in the whole wide world, so I couldn't give her some plain, old ordinary Valentine's Day gift. No, I needed to find a Valentine's Day present as special as she is. ...
- Jake couldn't wait to get to school. Today was the day of the class Valentine's Day party.
- When I looked up and saw Cupid with his bow, I knew we were in trouble. ...
- Mi-Lin woke up itchy. Seeing tiny red spots all over her arms, she groaned. What could be worse than chickenpox on the day of the school Valentine's festival?
- Tommy Terrence thought Valentine's Day was for babies. But one special Valentine's Day made him change his mind.
- Clarence the Candymaker rubbed his hands gleefully. Today, he would introduce the world to a whole new kind of Valentine's Day candy.
- Jessica couldn't believe her eyes. Stuffed into her mailbox was the biggest Valentine she had ever seen. ...
All content not attributed to another source is original and may not be re-posted on any other website.
Material on this site may be reproduced in printed form for non-commercial use (including school, church, and community/civic club use) as long as proper credit, including a link to this site, is given.
Material may not be reproduced for commercial use without written permission.